Hope Lodge was built between 1743 and 1748 by Samuel Morris, a prosperous Quaker entrepreneur. Morris acted as a farmer, ship owner, miller, iron-master, shop-owner, and owner of the mill now known as Mather Mill. Hope Lodge is an excellent example of early Georgian architecture, and it is possible that Edmund Woolley, architect of Independence Hall, offered advice in building. Samuel Morris owned the estate until his death in 1770, when it was inherited by his brother Joshua. Joshua in turn sold the property and dwelling to another Philadelphia merchant, William West.



1777 Whitemarsh Encampment commemorates the time from November 2 to December 11, 1777 when General George Washington and the Continental Army were encamped in the Whitemarsh Hills.

Learn More →


Hope Lodge will be open for tours on the third Sunday of each month starting on Sunday, April 17 through Sunday, October 16. The site is open from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm with guided tours at 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm. We also added two summer evening mansion tours.

Learn More →